IEOSA was founded by the Hajee AM Lockhat Wakuff Trust in 1985 for the purpose of setting up an Islamic educational system based on the latest techniques without losing sight of the spiritual and moral foundation of Islamic education. The Organisation is responsible for the research and development of syllabi, course design, publishing of teacher’s manuals, students textbooks as well as intensive teacher education for its various programs which include Pre-primary/Kindergarten, Madrasah, Dawah and Adult Education. The correct implementation is monitored via tests, assignments, examinations and field supervision at affiliate Madaaris / Islamic Centres.
As a non-profit, non-government organisation our other projects include:
• Establishment of more than 20 schools in rural areas in Kwa-Zulu Natal.
• Establishment of the Crescent Girls' High School.
• Establishment of the Al-Azhar school of Durban.
• Building and sustaining of orphanages.
• Providing extra tuitions to students in rural areas.
• Assisting students to obtain bursaries to study at Technikons and Universities.
• Welfare assistance to the poor and needy.
• Assistance in Khutbahs preparation for certain Masaajid.
• Allocate Huffaaz for Taraweeh to different Masaajids and conduct Hifzul Qur'aan classes.